At its January 2022 meeting, the parent council adopted these values. We discussed them again at the AGM last night. They will continue to guide and shape our work over the 2022-23 session.
BA Parent Council 2021/2
It is the obligation of all members and office holders to ensure that everyone’s voice is heard.
Ways of working
The BA Parent Council want to agree a code of conduct or set of values to help us work most effectively and constructively for all.
The code should help us ensure we deliver our role effectively and do so in the best possible way. And it should help ensure we act in the most collaborative and positive way we can and everyone’s voice is heard. The code of conduct is an assurance, that members will be acting in an appropriate manner and with the best intentions.
The key principles of the code will build on and reflect the school values:
Belonging, Believing… Aspiring, Achieving
- Everyone attending the BA Parent Council will be respected.
- We have a strong voice in our school and all views are listened to. Members and office holders all have an obligation to ensure everyone’s voice is heard.
- We believe in our school, and its learners, everything we do has them at its heart
- We want to help build resilience for our school and pupils and support the school and pupils in developing
- We take pride in our school community, our parent council and want members of the BA parent council, pupils and staff to be happy
- We work in partnership with the school and other bodies to challenge and stretch ourselves and others.
- We know that success requires hard work and we persevere when the going gets tough, but do this by working together.
- We challenge and support in a positive manner
- We are proud of our school’s history of achievement and want to be part of this as a parent council, supporting all pupils to achieve, especially those most in need
Parent Council members and post holders obligations
- Always act in a way which maintains and protects the ethos of the school
- Ensure all voices are heard and given representation
- Behave appropriately at meetings and events towards other members or members of the public.
- Listen to one another, and respect different opinions. Don’t interrupt, or seek to undermine one another
- Respect and adhere to the decisions taken by BA Parent Council
- Respect the decisions taken by the school
1. Not to abuse their position for personal advantage or gain
2. Personal issues relating to individual pupils, or staff at school, will not be discussed at meetings
3. Confidential issues will not be discussed out with the Parent Council meetings
4. Not to accept bribes for the influencing of any decisions.
5. Use of social media to post content that is negative, defamatory or abusive towards the school and its members.
6. Not to discuss issues with the press without prior agreement.
- This code will help the Parent Council fulfil the aims and objectives of the Scottish Schools (Parental Involvement) Act 2006.
- The Parent Council will ensure that new members has access to a copy of the Code of Conduct and Constitution.
- The Parent Council chair will reference the code of conduct at the start of each meeting as a reminder to all attendees.